The 3rd International Qvevri Wine Competition will be held in Georgia on 21-22 June 2019, organized by the Georgian Wine Association, supported by the National Wine Agency.
Aims of the Competition:
- To introduce best Qvevri Wines to the world (both from Georgia & other countries);
- To encourage the production and consumption of Qvevri Wine;
- To increase awareness of Qvevri wines produced in different countries.
Terms and Conditions for Participation:
The competition is open exclusively to Qvevri* wine producer from all countries and wine regions in the world. Wineries, individual winemakers, cooperative groups or unions are eligible to enter the competition. Conditions for entering the competition:
- Wines entered must be bottled;
- The competing wines must come from a consistent batch of at least 400 bottles and be stored with the intention of being sold;
- Bottle labels must include the following information:
- Name of the producing company, individual or cooperative
- Brand name
- Grape Variety
General conditions for sample shipping:
To compete, the wines must come from a consistent batch. Each sample entered must meet the following conditions:
- 2 bottles per entry (75 cl bottles)
- Bottles must display their commercial label
To enter the competition participants must send a completed form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 14, 2019.
Samples must be delivered to Georgian Wine Association, 12. Mtatsminda street, 0108 Tbilisi, Georgia before June 14, 2019. Delivery times are Monday to Friday from 11:00am to 17:00pm. Transport costs are at the expense of the participant and at his/her own risk (shipping, customs and taxes to be paid by the sender). Samples can be sent via the carrier of your choice. Any samples sent freight collect will be rejected. Samples that do not comply with competition rules will not be returned.
Entry fees and methods of payment:
Complimentary, due to the shipment costs.
Sample checks and storage:
The Georgian Wine Association will check all samples received and their accompanying documentation. Samples which do not comply with all clauses of the rules will be rejected. The competition’s organizer will store all samples in a secure location where temperature and general conditions ensure the wines enjoy optimal conditions.
Samples will be assessed by national and international judges, whose number will depend on the amount of wines entered in the competition.
The anonymity of the wines is a fundamental principle of the competition.
The competition award will be handed or addressed to the owner of the wine declared on the registration sheet.
* Definition Qvevri and Qvevri Wine: The Qvevri is an egg-shaped earthenware vessel used for making, aging and storing the wine. The wine-making process involves pressing the grapes and then pouring the juice, grape skins, stalks and pips into the Qvevri, which is sealed and buried in the ground so that the wine can ferment for one to six months (white and red wine fermentation process differs). Ancient Georgian traditional Qvevri wine-making method was inscribed on the representative list of UNESCO intangible heritage in 2013.